California Education Code on Student Health & Applicable Forms

Immunization RequirementsGo To Top of Page

(Ed Code 4940348216Health & Safety Code 120325-120380CCR 17 6000-6075)

State law requires that to enter elementary and secondary schools (grades kindergarten through 12), all students under 18 years must have immunizations.

According to the California Department of Public Health's attached Guide to Immunizations, all grades require proof of immunization for:

  • Polio
  • Diphtheria, Tetanus, and Pertussis
  • MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella)
  • Hepatitis B
  • Varicella (Chickenpox)
  • TDAP (Tetanus, Diphtheria, and Pertussis) Booster

All other entering students not fully immunized according to district policy and the schedule provided by the Department of Public Health may be admitted only on the condition that they obtain any additional immunization(s) within specified time periods.  The district may administer immunizations with written permission from the parents.

Students may be exempted from the immunization requirement for medical reasons.  In order to be exempt from this requirement, parents must submit a statement from the student's physician exempting them for medical reasons.

In the event of an outbreak of a disease for which the child has not been immunized, he/she will be excluded from school for the period of communicability.

Students who do not comply with the requirements shall be excluded from school.  If you have questions about your child's immunization record and/or admission status, please contact your child's school.


Contagious or Infectious DiseaseGo To Top of Page

(Ed Code 48213)

A student may be sent home if, for a good reason, he or she is believed to be suffering from a recognized contagious or infectious disease.  The student shall not be permitted to return until school authorities are satisfied that the student is no longer contagious or infectious.

Administration of MedicationGo To Top of Page

(Ed Code 49423-49425)

A designated trained school employee may administer medication during the school hours only upon written request of both the physician and parent(s) or guardian, detailing the method, amount, and time the medication is to be taken.

Medication will be administered only to students who parent and physician deem it necessary for potentially life-threatening medical conditions or for those who need medication administered during the school day in order to interact appropriately at school.

The authorization forms are available in the section below, or at each school office. To have medication administered to your student at school return the completed form to your student's school office. Medications must be brought to the school office in their original container.  Parents are encouraged to ask the student's physician to prescribe long-acting medication if possible, so that medication does not need to be given at school.


Evaluation of HearingGo To Top of Page

(Ed Code 49452, 49454)

Students in grade 10 are evaluated for adequate hearing by an authorized individual or agency.  The evaluation may be waived upon parent request. Parents will be notified if their child fails the screening test.

Student Health InformationGo To Top of Page

Health services personnel (school nurses, LVNs, or health assistants) are not always available on school campuses.  Nurses are available to assess the health needs and supervise the health care of special needs students, and to administer health screenings (vision, hearing).

It is imperative that parents fully inform the health office staff regarding any significant health problems.  If your student requires specialized health care during the school day, you will need to meet with a school administrator, the school nurse, or other school staff to design an individual plan.


Emergency CardsGo To Top of Page

(Ed Code 49408)

Your child's school must have information on file to assist them in contacting the appropriate persons in an emergency.  Information needs to be completed in the Parent Portal on Emergency information should include all pertinent health information and telephone numbers to call in an emergency.  The emergency information will be treated as confidential information, except for student directory information. When filling out the emergency information, parents should confirm that your child can receive emergency treatment.

If there is a change of address or phone number for any person listed on the card during the school year, please notify the school immediately.

Confidential Medical ServicesGo To Top of Page

(Ed Code 46010.1)

By law, a student may be excused from school for the purpose of obtaining confidential medical services without the consent of the student's parents or guardian.  Otherwise, it is the practice of the El Dorado Union High School District not to release students without parental consent.