skip to main content


Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Q1.  Why are there bus fees?        
In 1994, the El Dorado Union High School District (EDUHSD) Board of Trustees approved the charging of bus fees to make up the difference between the actual cost to operate transportation and funds received from the state and District.  Bus transportation is not fully funded by the state.  The District has chosen to limit financial support to transportation so that these funds can be used in the classroom.

Q2.  How do I obtain a bus pass for my student?

Applications are available in the Transportation Department, the Administration Office of your student's school, and on the District website. You will need to complete the application with the appropriate payment or income verification documents and return them to the Transportation Department either by U.S. mail to EDUHS Bus Fees, 4675 Missouri Flat Road, Placerville, CA 95667 or in person. Office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm. August through June. We offer online payment of bus fees. To pay bus fees online with a debit card, credit card, or electronic check, click here to link to myschoolbucks. If you pay online, you will NOT need to complete the bus transportation application. Please note that credit cards and debit cards are no longer physically accepted at the District Office.

Q3.  How will I know when it's time to get my student a new bus pass?       
All students must have a valid bus pass in order to ride any EDUHSD bus. Failure to provide a proper bus pass, subsequent to notifying you, the parent, will result in denial of all transportation services for your student. Since EDUHSD does not provide or issue reminders for students, it is the responsibility of the parent(s) to obtain the proper bus pass(es) for their student(s) by the appropriate date(s). You may find these dates on our website, on the transportation application itself, and on the Buss Fee Schedule. All of these forms are not only available online, but also in the Annual Notification to Parents and at the District Office as well. You will either need to submit payment or current income verification documents before the semester begins. You may direct bus fee questions to (530) 622-5081, ext. 7245.

Q4. What are your policies on refunds of bus fees?
Refunds are considered only for: (1) overpayment of bus fees, (2) a change in a student's schedule, or (3) a student leaves the District due to Board action (Administrative Regulation 3250). The amount returned may be prorated based on when the request is made. Refunds will not be considered once the semester is over. The bus pass must be returned to the District if you are requesting a refund. Occasional rider tickets are, as stated on the ticket, nonrefundable. If you feel that you are entitled to a refund of bus fees, please call the Transportation Department at (530) 622-5081, ext. 7245 for more information.

Q5.  Why is the bus so crowded?
In order to be cost effective and to utilize EDUHSD buses to their fullest, routes are established to maximize the capacity of District buses. Most of the District's buses are 84-passenger buses. There may be times at the start of school where buses will be at or near capacity. This means as many as 3 students to a bench seat. If there are more students wishing to use the bus, we will send another bus or move stops so buses will not exceed their legal capacity. We know that during the first few weeks of school many students who do not have bus passes will be riding.  When students are denied transportation due to non-payment of bus fees, the number of students on the bus will decrease. We also know that as more students get their driver's license, there will be fewer students riding the bus.

Q6.  How can a bus stop be added to a route?
Bus stops need to meet criteria established by the California Highway Patrol and the El Dorado Union High School District.  It is the District's responsibility to establish safe bus stops for your child. The criteria includes distance, visibility, and the speed limit. For added safety, the bus needs to be able to pull off the road as far as possible. Requests for bus stops must be in writing. It may take us several days to analyze your request. Until your requested stop is approved, you will need to get your student to the closest existing stop. For a School Bus Stop Form, click HERE


Q7.  How do I get a bus to come into my area?       
The Board of Trustees has established criteria set forth in Administrative Regulation 3540, which regulates when and where a route will be extended. In order to extend a route, all of the following criteria must be met:

  • A student must reside beyond a 3-mile distance to the nearest bus stop
  • There are 5 or more other students in that area desiring to ride the bus on a regular basis at the beginning of the school year
  • The proposed new bus stop and road(s) leading to it are serviced/maintained by county, city, or state year-round
  • There is sufficient space to safely turn a bus around
  • The new bus stop meets criteria as established by California Code of Regulations, Title 13, Section 1238
  • Payment of transportation bus fees per Administrative Regulation 3250

If you think your request meets this criteria, you need to submit a list to the Transportation Department of students in the area, with addresses and phone numbers. You will be notified of the outcome of your request once the list has been verified with the school of attendance and the distances from the bus stop to the students' addresses have been checked.

Q8.  If my student attends a district high school other than the school of residence, will my student still have access to bus transportation?
No. When a student attends a district high school other than the school of residence, the student will be responsible for his/her own transportation to/from school. However, the student will be allowed bus transportation if a parent chooses to drive the student daily to a nearby bus stop within the attendance boundary of the school of attendance. A bus fee application must be completed and a bus pass purchased for the student. The District cannot establish a new bus stop for an intradistrict transferring student.

Q9.  Does my student need a note to go home with a friend?
Yes. We need to know that the parents know where their student is going. Write a note and have your student give it to the bus driver.

Q10.  What happens when my student gets in trouble on the bus?
When a student misbehaves on the bus, there is a process that will be followed. The driver will first speak to your child about the misbehavior. If the misbehavior continues, the driver will write a citation that will be sent to the school. Your student will then be called to the office where the misbehavior will be discussed. As a result, your student may be denied transportation for a period of time, from a few days to the remainder of the semester, or your student may be required to attend detention or Saturday School. The discipline process is progressive. If the behavior is severe enough to threaten the safety of your student or others, your student may be removed from the bus by an Administrator and denied transportation.

Q11.  Why can't students sometimes find their bus in the afternoon?

When a driver is on a field trip or absent, another bus and driver will replace the absent bus. When this happens the bus will display a digital number in the right front windshield showing the usual bus route number. The buses also have an assigned spot for loading in the afternoon. A copy of the assigned bus parking order is available in the front office of the school along with posted copies of the routes. If you are picking up your student at school, we ask that you please do not come into the bus circles to pick up your child. This causes a very unsafe situation for buses and students.

Q12.  What happens in bad weather?

Buses may be delayed when there is bad weather. Please give the driver extra time when the roads are wet and icy. In the event of snow, information concerning school delays and closure will be announced by ParentSquare and TV stations starting at approximately 5:00 a.m. You can also call (530) 622-5081 for a recorded message. In the event of a delayed start, the buses will run 2 hours later than normal at the affected schools.

Q13.  Why are there cameras on the buses?       
Bus drivers must keep their eyes on the road to safely drive the bus. When a student misbehaves and a driver's eyes are taken off the road, this affects the safety of all students. The cameras are a tool that drivers can use to view student misbehavior.


Q14.  If I have a question or concern, who do I call?   
Please call the Transportation Department at (530) 622-5081, ext. 7245 or 7250. If you get voicemail, please leave a message and we will return your call.

Transportation Staff

Director of Transportation
(530) 622-5081 ext. 7242
Transportation Coordinator
(530) 622-5081 ext. 7247
Transportation Specialist / Dispatcher
(530) 622-5081 ext. 7245
Transportation Specialist / Dispatcher
Julie Ribolin
(530) 622-5081 ext. 7013
Transportation Secretary III
(530) 622-5081 ext. 7250